Potato Leek Soup
4 medium leeks, cut in half lengthwise, rinsed and sliced thin (white part of leek only), but save some of the ends of the leek, the darker green, for garnish.
2 lbs. of potatoes, rinsed and cubed
3-4 stalks of celery, chopped
2-3 bay leaves
3-4 sprigs of thyme
1 sprig of rosemary
2 ½ qrts of chicken broth
1 ½ cup of heavy cream
3-4 Tbps butter
2 cloves garlic
S & P to taste
- In a large soup pot, melt butter on med high heat.
- Add leeks, celery, garlic and cook until veggies are translucent (about 5-8 minutes).
- Add chicken broth, potatoes, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves, rosemary and thyme.
- Using a hand blender, blend mixture until smooth.
- Add the cream, stir occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish soup with thinly sliced green portion of the leeks.
(If the soup is too thin, continue to cook on low heat until it reaches desired thickness. I like it thick enough to coat the back of a spoon lightly. If it’s too thick, add more broth or water and re-season)